My photo
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Excitement Builds

As the weekend nears, my excitement grows and not just because I get two days away from the hell I call work. This weekend will mark the first, of what I hope to be many, road trips of the 2008 year for me. Sure I’ve been to Buffalo four or five times already this year but that was more like an outing than a real road trip. The HSBC arena is my home during the National Lacrosse League season so a drive there is commonplace and does not get the road trip status, although it is still a lengthy drive.

My road trip begins Saturday when I head to Rochester with my sister to see the baby Jays take on the Red Wings followed by a great meal at Main Street Bar & Grill and ending with the Buffalo Bandits versus the Rochester Knighthawks lacrosse game. Although I am only driving about 30 minutes further than Buffalo, I see this trip as a real road trip. Perhaps my view arises because I will be seeing two sporting events (depending on the weather) or maybe it arises because I don’t go to Rochester very often. Maybe it’s because this trip signifies the beginning of road tripping weather, I don’t know. But whatever the reason is I can’t wait to leave, even though the drive for me will start at 7:30 AM.

Even with my excitement boiling over, I am also a bit nervous about the lacrosse game. You see, every time I traveled in the past to the Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial to watch a game, the team I cheer for has always come out on the losing side. To make things worse, Rochester is fighting for a playoff spot and needs this win badly. With only three games to go, they will be playing with desperation. The Bandits have perhaps the best team in the league when they play well but can look like the worst team when they don’t. No matter the outcome of either sporting event, I think this will be a fun trip. Go Chiefs! And Go Bandits!

No comments: