My photo
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2009 OHL Playoffs Begin Tonight

The road to Rimouski begins tonight for the Ontario Hockey League as Owen Sound travels to Windsor and Sudbury enters the large confines of the Yardmen Arena in Belleville. Since I've got nothing better to do with my time, I am going to make some predictions for the OHL playoffs.

Western Conference:

8. Owen Sound Attack vs. 1. Windsor Spitfires - Windsor in four straight. Windsor is that good and the Sound is really that bad.

7. Erie Otters vs. 2. London Knights - London in five. I think overconfidence will cost the Knights a game but coach Hunter will make sure it doesn't happen a second time.

6. Guelph Storm vs. 3. Saginaw Spirit - Saginaw in five. Guelph plays hard and that hard work will result in a win but Saginaw is the team that I feel can upset London in round two and give Windsor a tough go for the West title.

5. Sarnia Sting vs. 4. Plymouth Whalers - Plymouth in six. These teams finished close in the standings and this will be a battle but the Sting just don't have it this year.

Eastern Conference:

8. Sudbury Wolves vs. 1. Belleville Bulls - Belleville in five. Belleville knows what it takes to win and should make fairly quick work of the Wovles. The lengthy travel will cost the Bulls a game.

7. Peterborough Petes vs. 2. Brampton Battalion - Brampton in six. Brampton is good but the Petes play hard and will be a good test for Brampton.

6. Niagara Ice Dogs vs. 3. Ottawa 67's - Ottawa in seven. Although Niagara all but owned Ottawa in the regular season, Kilrea will motivate his players to a series win.

5. Barrie Colts vs. 4. Mississauga Majors - Barrie in five. If the Colts can stay out of the penalty box I think this series is theirs.

Even though I predict only one upset in round 1, there will still be lots of great hockey to see. Other than the Belleville series, I can see all the Eastern series ending in upsets but Brampton is too good to lose and Ottawa is my team so I have trouble picking them to be upset in round 1. Ottawa has a team that could surprise a lot of teams and I hope they do but I see a round 2 exit for them. The Western Conference should go t the favourites, at least in the first round.

No comments: