My photo
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, February 23, 2008

I Don't Get It!

I was watching the semi-final game for the Scotties Tournament of Hearts and something happened on the last shot that totally confuses me. Team Ontario scored 2 points in the ninth end to finally regain the lead and held Team Manitoba to one in the tenth end to force an extra end. Team Ontario had the hammer in the eleventh and looked to be in a great position for the victory. Jennifer Jones, the skip for Team Manitoba, left Sherry Middaugh, Ontario's skip, with a choice of shots for her last rock: a double takeout or a draw.

I am far from an expert in curling but I have watched several events and when one point is needed, the teams generally go for the draw. I have never actually curled but I have played other games where objects are thrown or shot into others (billiards, lawn bowling, shuffleboard)and I know how difficult it is to line up combos (or double takeouts in curling terms). I don't know if there were any high guards blocking a draw attempt because the television coverage only showed the house but the announcers kept talking about the draw so it must have been possible.

Team Ontario decided on the double takeout. Sherry Middaugh didn't catch enough of the first rock, missed the double and gave up the steal. If anyone reads this, saw the match and can explain the decision to me, I'd be grateful to them. I am sure there is a very valid reason and I would love to know it to add to my very limited curling knowledge so I will sound somewhat knowledgeable of the sport in any future posts.

No comments: