My photo
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Friday, March 9, 2007

MLB Stadiums

1. Tiger Stadium, Detroit, MI
Date of First Game – September 24, 1999
This was the first of the old parks I went to and it was the best stadium I have ever been to. Just stepping into the stands, I could feel the history of the building and for a fleeting moment, I was taken back to the days of old. It was magical. Unfortunately, we were only able to get obstructed views for the game so we missed a lot. There were three of us so we took turns in each different seat, one of which was completely behind a pole, for a three-inning stint. Overall, it was a great experience, one that I have never been able to duplicate anywhere. A truly great building and a shame it was replaced.

2. Fenway Park, Boston, MA
Date of First Game – July 22, 2000
Although this is another of the great old buildings, I did not feel the same mystical feeling as I did in Tiger Stadium. Maybe it was because I had different company; maybe it just was not as nice as Tiger Stadium, who knows. The complete game experience was very similar to that of Tiger Stadium, although not quite as electric. Behind us were a few Yankees fans, come to see the great Fenway before it was replaced (which never happened due to lack of funding), engaged in friendly discussions with some of the Sox faithful about which team was better. As an innocent bystander, this was very comical as they eventually compared the teams by position. I don’t know if they resolved anything but it sure added to the entertainment of the game.

3. Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
Date of First Game – August 26, 2001
The famous Wrigley was another great park, however, I felt absolutely no nostalgia being in it. I unfortunately missed the great Harry Carey and his seventh inning stretch routine by a year or two as well. The section I saw the game from had a bit of a business class feel to it with very little baseball talk going on. Even without the nostalgia as felt in Tiger Stadium, this is still one of the greatest parks in the league.

4. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA
Date of First Game – August 28, 1991
I do not recall this stadium much but I do remember the view from it and the beautiful sunset that occurred. Even with the disgusting haze of Los Angeles visible, the sunset was unforgettable.

5. Comerica Park, Detroit, MI
Date of First Game – August 20, 2005
If I were to build a new stadium today, I would use Comerica Park for inspiration. The field is nice, the tickets can be cheap, the game is visible while walking through the concourse, and there are many things to keep children occupied. I particularly enjoyed the water fountain in center field and the statutes of some of the great historical players in the outfield concourse. I was unable to walk through the entire stadium at this game but look forward to going back so I can take in everything the stadium has to offer.

6. Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO
Date of First Game – September 12, 2005
This stadium was a lengthy drive to get to but the drive was very much worth it. The area surrounding the stadium was dedicated to baseball, including some of the bars and restaurants. There were some historical statues along the side of the park and the appearance of the park itself was unique (at least unique to the stadiums I have been too). Inside, the field was visible throughout most of the concourse and the energy was high. Having the Gateway Arch in the background was a nice touch too.

7. Olympic Stadium, Montreal, QC
Date of First Game – June 19, 2004
This stadium also had a unique outward appearance; it looked like a UFO. Inside, the concourse was setup nicely with tables in between concession stands and scattered elsewhere along the walls providing civilized areas to relax and eat dinner. These seating areas are a nice addition to any sporting venue as they allow for easy family eating. The fans were very vociferous and easily got into the game. It is a shame that the league could not recover from the 1994 strike in the eyes of the Montreal fans because they are some of the best fans in sports, I think the stand they took proves this point.

8. Angel Stadium, Anaheim, CA
Date of First Game – August 26, 1991
I do not really remember this stadium at all either but since it is an open stadium in sunny California, it must be nice.

9. US Cellular Field
Date of First Game – July 17, 1994
When I went to this stadium, it was called Comiskey Park 2. This park did not hold much for me, although it was a family trip so maybe that has something to do with my indifference. I shall return to this stadium at some point and will modify my thinking if it warrants.

10. Rogers Centre (Skydome), Toronto, ON
Date of First Game – unknown
This stadium is as nice as a big chunk of concrete can be. The main downfall of this stadium, I find, is that, even with the roof open, it feels like being inside and not out in the open air. It did have the first retractable roof in the league and it has a hotel attached to the side of it with some rooms overlooking the field so it does have its positives. Since the owners of the team took over ownership of the stadium there have been attempts to reduce the concrete look and improve the game experience, some of which have actually worked. Now all they need is more fans to fill the seats and maybe this venue will be fun to go to again.

11. Exhibition Stadium, Toronto, ON
Date of First Game – unknown
I have scattered memories of this stadium, some good, and some bad. Being built for both baseball and football led to an unpleasant look but there were many great team memories played out there. It was a sad day when the Jays moved out but a move desperately needed.

No comments: