My photo
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Monday, October 22, 2007

The MLB Playoffs are Fixed!

Before I continue on with this post, I would like to stress that this is just a fun post and should not be taken seriously at all. Not many people take me serious as it is so this post is not one to start. I have no factual information and this post is not based on any real events, other than the final outcome of the series. So while you read this I hope I make you laugh some and maybe cry if you are a tribe fan.

After seeing the score of game 7 of the American League Championship Series, I just couldn't believe it. How could a team who jumped out to a 3-1 series lead end up losing the series? I guess the leading team could have been lucky but I highly doubt that. After losing game 1, the Cleveland Indians won the next three games, outscoring the Red Sox 24-11 in those games, and looked to be in total control of the series. But then, once everyone realized that interest in a Soxless World Series would not be that high, especially since a relatively unknown Colorado Rockies team is the opponent, Cleveland somehow forgot to score runs.

I personally would have enjoyed seeing the tribe take on the Rox (as the lazy people refer to the Rockies) for the simple reason that the Red Sox would not be involved. Unfortunately, there are too many Red Sox "fans" that would not watch the finale if their team was out so something had to be done. Now I don't know who got to the tribe, whether it was Fox or MLB themselves, but someone must have paid the tribe to lose. And did they ever lose, worse than the producers of Major League could even imagine. The same team that put together 24 runs in the three previous games could only manage 5 runs in the next three games, games that really mattered.

The Red Sox "fans" are saying that the Sox are really that good but we all know according to an article on Sportsnet earlier this year (I really wish I could quote the article) the Red Sox are really not that good of a team and surely, they won't be around come playoff time. Yeah, that is from the organization that owns the Blue Jays. Their concept and understanding of baseball is unprecedented. I really wonder why they haven't won any other penants lately. Hmm!

Back to the topic. Given the teams remaining, more money will be made if the Red Sox compete in the World Series than the Indians. I first thought that Fox was behind the ALCS fix but after some further thought, it is just as likely that the MLB perpetrated the fix. With the steriod issue still fairly hot the league cannot afford less than a packed house for the final series not only in the stands but in living rooms across America, oh yeah, and Canada and pockets of Europe. If only the Cubs didn't choke, MLB would have been in heaven. But alas, that dream may never come to pass so the league needs to make the best of what they're left with.

Now that I wasted my time writing this rambling mess of words and sentences, I shall stop. Before I leave I once again would like to note that nothing I have said here is based on facts. It is purely for amusement (or punishment) purposes only. The 7-1 loss in game 5 could very well have taken all steam out of the tribe, or it is even possible that the Sox figured how to pitch around the Indians batters. Anything is possible in the wide world of sports. All I have to say is it is a good thing there is a mute button on tv's because all we will hear is how Boston is so good or how they overcame almost insurmountable odds, not once but twice. And don't forget all the useless facts Fox has stored away about the only team worthy of mention, ready to assault us while inducing seizures with their rapid flash photography.

Just think, before the league decided teams need to play their divisional opponents a billion times each season, I had no qualms about the Red Sox and in fact, I likely would have been cheering for them back in 2004, or whatever year it was, when they finally won a world series. Now, I am so sick of seeing the Red Sox that my indifference has turned to hate. GO ROCKIES!!!

No comments: